Here, you can find Ren'Py tutorials that I've done.
Basics of Ren'Py
These tutorials will show you how to show dialogue said by characters, display backgrounds, branch out your story and more of the very basics.
- Part #1 - Creating labels and writing dialogue
- Part #2 - Defining Characters and creating effects on text using text tags
- Part #3 - Showing and hiding background and character images
- Part #4 - Changing images' position and more, using transforms
- Part #5 - Branching your story with menus
- Part #6 - Understanding the call stack to properly move between labels with call, jump and return
- Part #7 - Using variables to remember values, inserting variables into dialogue with interpolation, and branching with if/else blocks
- Part #8 - side images - what they are and how to use them
- Part #9 - Persistent data - variables that retain their values in-between save files and restarts
Tutorials that shall guide you through the screen language - code that is used to create screens, like the main menu or the save screen.
- Part #1 - Creating screens and adding images
- Part #2 - Adding text and using boxes to organize elements into rows or columns
- Part #3 - Creating frames around elements, positioning elements with frames and fixed, and examples of displayables - Images created with code
- Part #4+5 - A double tutorial on interacting with screens using buttons, textbuttons and imagebuttons, all of which utilize screen actions
- Part #6 - How to change and/or re-use screens with arguments, the use and transclude statements
- Part #7 - Coding GUI #1 - Changing the Main Menu by using custom assets, the imagemap statement and optionally the Image Location Picker
- Part #8 - Coding GUI #2 - Changing the say screen, better known as the dialogue box, to use more custom assets
- Part #9 - Coding GUI #3 - Changing the choice screen, which represents in-game menus, with even more custom assets
Tutorials that talk about different snippets of code that are useful in common Ren'Py projects. Copy pasting them is fine, but explanations for everything are included as usual, so nothing's stopping you from understanding all that's happening!
Python in Ren'Py
These tutorials will teach you about Python - the programming language Ren'Py is coded in - and how it can be used when creating games in Ren'Py.
These are tutorials with a more random thematic, or ones that don't have their own category.
If you have questions, I'll gladly answer them on my Discord server.